Sunday, April 22, 2018

Alien Nation


Image result for don't meet my family gif
Alienation is defined as "the state or experience of being isolated from a group or an activity to which one should belong or in which one should be involved." Wow does this sound like Gogol. The definition is interesting as it brings up the idea of should you be involved in something. Does Gogol have to be involved in his Bengali culture just because he is Bengali? This is probably how he felt throughout the book. Gogol struggled with accepting his background growing up, something you can't escape nor deny. Unfortunately, he let it prevent him from doing what he wanted, living a life he wanted. Leaving him with a bunch of "what ifs." Throughout his teenage years he didn't want to date because he thought his name/he was too strange and his parents would be disapproving. He doesn't want to let his Bengali roots to define him so he tries to ignore it. He tries to escape it. He separates himself from it. He doesn't understand his parents struggle with being homesick nor what it's like having their family on the other side of the globe. He doesn't understand the reason for their parents continuing their culture and identity in America. For these reasons and others, he doesn't appreciate his culture. A lot of his major decisions are based off on putting distance between him and his parents.
Gogol doesn't want to go to MIT as that is where his dad wants him to go and that’s where his dad works. He doesn't want that kind of tie/reminder so he chooses Yale. He wants to put distance between them. Yale also has a different setting and offers a different geographical setting. There, he doesn't want any part that has to do with his culture. He doesn't want to join the Indian Association when Amit asks him. He moves away and rarely keeps up with his parents. "He prefers New York, a place which his parents do not know well..." He doesn't want to end up like them either. Alienation is a heavily repeated theme in The Namesake. But at the same time he constantly brings his parents up and his culture. This is evident during his time with Maxine. He has a dream of his mother calling him and he realizes he hasn't been in contact with his parents in so long that it wakes him up. He is reassured when he realizes they don't even know where he is staying. He also enjoys being apart of this lavish American upper class lifestyle, something he has never been a part of, more than he has ever enjoyed being Bengali.
Also his parents alienated their kids from experiencing an American household (until the kids decide they don't want it). They only befriended Bengalis not because of who they were but because they shared that same culture and reminded them of their old lives. They exposed Gogol to Bengali ways. They really only knew Bengali customs so it's not totally intentional. But they preferred him to focus on his studies and continue in Bengali customs even when he was older.
Overall, alienation is what plays a huge role in The Namesake because it makes Gogol undergo an identity crisis. It plays a huge factor in what he decides for his future.


9 comments:

  1. Danya! The way that you critiqued the definition of alienation made me think of concepts I would have not have if I never read your blog. I thought you went in depth about Gogol and his relationship with alienation, however you didn't mention much of Ashima. Yes, you brought up the parents briefly but Ashima dealt with a lot of alienation throughout her life. The feelings she experienced end up affecting Gogol, like how any parent influences their child; that's why it;s important. Other than that, great analysis of this theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danya I really liked this blog. You really went in depth on Gogol and how alienation was an everyday thing. But just like Brianna said I think that if you would have commented more on the way his mother Ahima was affected this blog would have been a whole lot better. I have similar views as you and I couldn't really put them into words but you did a good job of putting you views into words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #tbt to that time I thought I was clever when I titled my blog "Alien Nation" Lol. Also ngl I read the second sentence in your voice extremely sarcastic so if you heard me laughing a few minutes ago that's why. I was a little confused when I read "Yale also has a different setting and offers a different geographical setting," because by the first different setting, do you mean based on people or culture or general feel of the campus? Or is it extra emphasis on a changed location? Also, maybe this is just me, I had a really difficult time trying to separate identity from alienation in my blogs, but I think you really did a good job with it. Especially at the final sentence when you talk about how alienation contributes to the identity. Gooooooood stuuuuuuuufffffff. And overall, this is really well written. I love how you talk about specific aspects that alienated Gogol. Noice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you mentioned the difference between the alienation blog and the identity blog! Honestly up until this point I thought that there was a gray area where we could talk about the same thing in both blogs. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I also never thought about how much his parents decisions really affected Gogol's choices in his own life. Overall, I don't see any major issues with your blog and I think you covered the topic very thoroughly. Maybe you should have spoke about alienation with other characters? idk I think this is a 3/3 blog, regardless.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found it really interesting how you mentioned the idea about belonging/being involved and if you really need to do that. It's definitely something that I never took into account when considering why Gogol is the way he is. I completely agree with your statement about him alienating himself leading to his identity crisis. This looks to be a little short (but maybe my perception is just off?), so I would suggest writing about other characters and how they experienced alienation. This is really a great blog as you wrote about a lot of different instances that caused him to feel alienated and even brought up a few points that I hadn't thought of. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoa, first of all, this was a really strong blog post and you took a very different perspective than other people. I really love how you began this post by stating the definition of "alienation" and actually analyzing the definition then applied it to Gogol and his situation. I love how you talked about him never having to deal with his family being halfway around the globe, but his parents did, and yet he still can't see why they feel so alone. Personally, I find it super interesting how his parents were forced into alienation because they had to move, yet he forced himself into alienation by disconnecting himself from his heritage and roots, its like external vs. internal conflict. Anyways, sorry for the tangent, super dope post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree a lot with what the other commenters said. Great job on describing the alienation that Gogol is facing, but I think you also need to focus on Ashima as she face a lot of alienation as well. I think you brought up very good ideas about the alienation that Gogol faced that I hadn't thought of before. Overall, this was very good, Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dizzy Wright you made me dizzy reading this simply because its a damn masterpiece.. The way you applied the alieNation to Gogol was out of this world lol. Scrolling up I see everyone else agrees just the way you carried this blog was something else and for that I think you should get extra credit. You really taught the class here and I think just like Patty's blog everyone should read this. Adding some more info about other characters would really blow this blog out of the water but just wowww. I freaking love ya Dizzy and I want more of thissss :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE THAT YOU USED A REAL HOUSEWIVES OF NEW JERSEY GIF!!!!!!!!!!
    There is a lot of different types of alienation, societal, cultural, family, and others. I think what would be helpful is specifically mentioning these types of alienation. Furthermore, perhaps instead of recaps of situations in the book, deep analysis. However, it does show a good understanding of the book if you recap moments on the test. Great job..
    DANYAAAAAAAA

    ReplyDelete